Sunday, August 30, 2009

Angkor Wat


Prior to going to Cambodia I was told to not talk to the Buddhist monks. I arrived at Angkor Wat at around 7:30 a.m.. I was in awe of the compound and quite excited to see two monks walking around the grounds. My photographic safari immediately began and I stalked them for about 20 minutes. At that point I decided to "break the rules" and I approached them and said hello. The monk in the picture then asked me if I spoke English. When I replied yes he then asked if I would mind talking to him. He was delightful to talk to. He informed me that the only English he got to hear was on the radio so it was a wonderful opportunity to get a real life English lesson. After that I spent many hours having a blast with a wide variety of monks.

Angkor Wat is one of many temples in the region near Siem Reap, Cambodia. It was probably built in the early 1100's. I love the contemplative nature of this shot which was taken in November 2007. I can't imagine what it was like when it was at its prime and inhabited by thousands of monks.


2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful life experience for you! And what a wonderful life lesson for me -- who never breaks the rules -- that breaking the rules may not only not get you in trouble, but may enhance both your life and that of another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What was amazing to me was how happy they were. They seemed to be happy about everything and just enjoying everything in their lives. There was just a sense of peace/contentment/joy around them that was wonderful to be around. It's something I would love to be able to have in my own life.

    ReplyDelete